Follow us through the emergency delivery of our 29 week, 2 pound son, Gray, onto a challenging 54 day NICU stay and beyond.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Words of Advice

During the tough days after Gray's birth, my mom spent lots of time calling and updating family and friends for us.  Sometimes you just don't feel like talking to lots of people and telling the same story over and over again.  That is perfectly OK.  Talk about it when you're ready.

Having a preemie is a whole different world.  One I was completely unprepared for.  I wanted, needed, searched for, and accepted any advice/positive words/encouragement I could get.

The first bit of encouragement I received was from my auntie.

My mom called me and she said, "Emma, just got off the phone with your auntie and she told me to tell you this, 'In order for you to get through this you need to do two things... be brave and be strong.  Do it for Gray.  If you can do that... you'll be OK.' "

The second bit of positivity I received was from my mom.  She and Shedrick constantly told me to keep in mind that Gray wasn't even supposed to be here yet and that he had a lot of growing and developing to do.

The fact was that Gray was here and because he couldn't grow and develop in my tummy he needed to do so in the NICU.  The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.  Sounded scary and sad and no fun.

And then mom said, "Think of it as a techno tummy."
And that made me smile.  For whatever reason, Gray couldn't stay in my tummy so he was in the next best place.
"Just think, you get to see what others don't."  She said.
And she was right, I got to see a miracle unfold and grow and develop right before my very eyes.

The power of positive thinking is real.  I adopted these sayings from the very beginning and they helped me tremendously through out our entire NICU experience and after.

No comments:

Post a Comment