Follow us through the emergency delivery of our 29 week, 2 pound son, Gray, onto a challenging 54 day NICU stay and beyond.

Friday, August 3, 2012

I am 1 in 3000

Yep, 1 in 3000.  That's how many women develop eclampsia.  That's what I developed.

According to the US National Library of Medicine eclampsia is seizures in a pregnant woman unrelated to a preexisting brain condition.

Eclampsia is prefaced by preeclampsia.

Preeclampsia is high blood pressure in a pregnant women.

Preeclampsia and eclampsia can be life threatening for both mother and child.

Preeclampsia is much more common.  It happens in 2-8% of women, often times, in first pregnancies.  Many woman don't even know they have preeclampsia until they have their blood pressure checked.  I didn't know I had it until I was admitted to the hospital.  My high blood pressure, abdominal pain, abnormal liver enzymes and blood work, urine filled with protein, and vomiting all pointed to one thing... severe preeclampsia.

There is no cure/treatment for preeclampsia.  It can only be managed with bed rest and in severe cases medicine.  There are no guarantees that it can be managed and it will only go away after the baby is born.  20% of the world's premature babies were born because of preeclampsia. 

So, why was Gray born prematurely?

The simple answer.

Severe preeclampsia followed by eclampsia.

Why did I develop preeclampsia and then eclampsia?

I don't have an answer to that one.

My doctors don't either.  According to them I was a very atypical case.

Maybe one day we will know why these things happen and be able to prevent it.

**I am not a doctor.  The information provided here is based on my own personal research and experience.**

No comments:

Post a Comment